Tuesday 8 June 2010

Answer to Paul_1DayLater who's on Twitter


In answer to your Twitter Paul; I’ll start with a couple of clichés;
Horses for courses! Sledge hammer to crack a nut!

I work from home so my overheads are low. I don’t have fancy offices and a receptionist; there’s just me and my son who works part time bookkeeping for me. I just charge for our time plus Vat and if you’re Vat registered that’s not a problem’ cos as you know; you get the Vat back!

Why would you want to use an accountancy firm that’s capable of dealing with the likes of Marks and Spencer if you’re a small company?

To make a medical analogy I see myself as a GP. If I come across aspects I feel needs the opinion of a consultant, and there have been times when I’ve done, just that. The client might not see much change out of £300.00 but at least they are satisfied that they have the best advice for that situation and not paying in that order for everything else that needs to be done.

I have just taken on two new clients who have used high profile local accountants; both have been local branch committee members of a highly regarded national business institution.

The chairman is likely to see his fees at around about 30% of the previous level. He is local.

The other a former secretary is likely to move to the coast, we don’t have any coast here in Cheltenham, and is not at all daunted by the distance. There are certain aspects of his tax situation I warned him I might not be able to deal with and need to consult with someone with greater knowledge in that field than I have. In the event I shall thoroughly research the aspect and put it to the client. Let’s face it; there’s no point in paying £1,000 for a £900 tax saving.

I’ve also recently taken on my cousin’s limited companies in London, and he found because he was so small everything was late, incurring fines they eventually paid, and it took me ages to obtain information I needed.

So I come back to the clichés do you hire a Bugatti Veyron; yes I’d love one, when a Smart Car will do?

Posted by Joe Martin providing business services for small businesses and the self employed. Go to http://www.joemartin.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment